The sound of an ice cream truck jingling down the street is one of the best sounds of the summer. It means it’s time for the beach, no school, and icy cold desserts that make you forget the sweltering heat. But if you’re dairy free, it can be tricky to find summer goodies that satisfy your diet and sweet tooth, especially if all the ice cream truck offers is the typical Choco Taco®. Your summer should never be deprived of sweet treats, no matter your dietary needs! For our lactose free friends, we’ve curated our top three easy dairy free dessert recipes that are sure to please your inner sugar connoisseur. Heck, they'll even make your buddies who eat dairy say "yum!"
3 Dairy Free Dessert Recipes for the Summer
1. Dairy Free S’mores Pudding Cups
You don’t have to trek to the mountains and swat mosquitos away from your face to enjoy the goodness of a s’more. With our S’mores Pudding Cups, you get flavors you know and love and, unlike traditional s’mores, they don’t end up sticking to your fingers in the end. Featuring our non dairy pudding, these lightly roasted pudding cups can be enjoyed on your own or served at your next family potluck. Watch your guests' eyes widen and jaws drop when you tell them that these summer desserts are (cue the gasp) dairy free!
Dairy Free S’mores Pudding Cups
Ingredients / Supplies
- Dairy free graham crackers
- WayFare’s Dairy Free Chocolate Pudding
- Vegan mini marshmallows
- Culinary torch (If not on hand, use an oven set on “broil”)
- Oven-safe dessert glasses
- Rolling pin
- Zip-top bag
- Place graham crackers in the zip-top bag and crush the graham crackers with the rolling pin until they form a consistent crumble.
- Sprinkle a generous layer of graham cracker crumbs at the bottom of a dessert glass.
- Spread a layer of WayFare’s Dairy Free Chocolate Pudding on top of the crumbs.
- Alternate layers of graham cracker crumbs and Dairy Free Chocolate Pudding until there is an inch left at the top of the glass. If you want to mix it up, add in a layer of our Dairy Free Vanilla Pudding between the layers of chocolate pudding!
- Sprinkle a layer of mini marshmallows on the top layer of the dessert cup.
- Lightly torch the marshmallows with a culinary torch until the marshmallows are golden brown. If you are not using a culinary torch, set the oven to the “broil” setting and place the oven rack close to the top of the oven. Place the dessert cups in the oven and roast the marshmallows until they are golden brown. Keep an eye on the cups while they are in the oven; marshmallows cook quickly!
- Serve directly after torching/roasting the marshmallows.
2. Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Honestly, these dairy free desserts are so yummy they will make the ice cream truck driver jealous. Due to some culinary experimentation that would make a pastry chef proud, we discovered our Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe (which uses our non dairy butter) makes cookies that are perfect to sandwich dairy free ice cream in between. With a recipe that tastes as good as this, your kids will be begging to stay home for ice cream, not go out for it! Plus, they’ll have fun decorating their ice cream sandwiches with the sprinkles of their choice. Who says it’s rude to play with your food? Not us!
Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- WayFare’s Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies*
- Dairy free ice cream of your choice
- Sprinkles (Optional)
- Small bowl for sprinkles (If using sprinkles)
*Note - before starting this recipe, you will need to bake a batch of cookies using our Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.
- Prior to assembling the sandwich, chill the chocolate chip cookies for 10 minutes so they will be firm for sandwich assembly.
- After removing the cookies from the freezer, dollop a thick scoop of dairy free ice cream on one side of a cookie. Make sure the ice cream is spread out evenly to reach the edge of the cookie.
- Place a second cookie on top to create a sandwich.
- If using sprinkles, place a few tablespoons of sprinkles in a bowl.
- Roll the ice cream cookie sandwich in the sprinkles to evenly coat the exposed ice cream.
- Chill before serving.
3. Frozen Chocolate-Covered Banana Pops
If life is like a box of chocolates, then summer is like a frozen chocolate-covered banana pop: a crowd-pleaser that everyone looks forward to! Chocolate-covered banana pops are incredibly easy to make, refreshing to eat on a hot day, and perfect to share with your friends during a pool party or picnic. Bonus, you can coat these pops with the topping of your choice if you’re feeling a little “extra.”
Frozen Chocolate Banana Pops
- Popsicle sticks
- Dairy free chocolate
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Crushed nuts (optional)
- Peel bananas and cut them in half cross-wise.
- Insert popsicle sticks into the ends and freeze.
- Once the bananas are frozen, melt the dairy free chocolate into the microwave in 30-second increments.
- Coat the bananas with the chocolate.
- If desired, roll the chocolate banana pops in sprinkles or nuts.
- Re-freeze until ready to eat.
Enjoy Summer the WayFare Way!
Whether you’re whipping up these delectable dairy free dessert recipes or planning your next great non dairy dinner party, let WayFare Foods make meals simple and tasty for you! We make it easy to order dairy free food online or find us in a store near you, so you always have access to delicious, healthful foods. Our range of products is not only dairy free but is free from the 8 major allergens. Get ready to say “wow” and shop our range of allergen-friendly, dairy free products today.