These plant based stuffed shells are a great comfort food without being super heavy and over loaded with dairy. We make these dairy free by using WayFare Sour Cream and Cheddar Cheese (or you can swap for the Nacho or Jalapeno flavors). While these shells are simple to make, they pack a lot of flavor! Add a side of steamed veggies or a mixed green salad, and dinner is served!
Ingredients for ricotta mixture:
1 diced sweet onion
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2- 14 oz pack extra-firm or firm tofu, drained
1 cup WayFare Cheese (Cheddar, Jalapeno, or Nacho)
1/2 cup WayFare Sour Cream
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of ground nutmeg
1- 10 oz box of frozen spinach, drained (more if desired)
1 ½ tsp dried oregano
1 ½ tsp dried basil
pepper to taste
1- 28 oz jar marinara sauce
1- 12 oz box jumbo pasta shells (approximately 30 shells)
¾ cup melted WayFare Cheddar Cheese (or Jalapeno or Nacho)
Preheat oven to 375° F. Prepare 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Prepare ricotta filling; saute onion and garlic.
- In a large bowl, mash tofu and mix with cheese, salt, nutmeg, spinach, oregano, basil, pepper. Mix in sauteed onion and garlic. Set aside.
- Cook the shells according to box instructions. Don’t over cook. Rinse with cold water and drain.
- Cover the bottom of 9″ x 13″ baking dish with marinara sauce. Fill the shells with ricotta mix and place in the baking dish
- Pour remainder of sauce over shells. Pour melted cheese over them. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 375° F. Bake an additional 10 minutes uncovered. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.