This Shepherd’s Pie recipe is easy to make and takes only an hour. The ingredients are simple, but the entree is hearty. Serves 6-8.
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown or green lentils, rinsed and drained
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Basil
1 10-ounce bag frozen mixed veggies: peas, carrots, green beans and corn
3 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, thoroughly washed
3-4 Tbsp WayFare Dairy Free Salted Whipped Butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice potatoes in half, place in a large pot and fill with water until they’re just covered. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat, then generously salt, cover, and cook for 20-30 minutes.
2. Once cooked, drain, and transfer to a mixing bowl. Mash until smooth. Add WayFare Whipped Butter (2-4 Tbsp), and season with salt to taste. Loosely cover and set aside.
3. While potatoes are cooking, preheat oven to 425 degrees F and lightly grease (WayFare Butter or Olive oil works) a 2-quart baking dish (we used a 9×13 dish in the video).
4. In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in 1 Tbsp olive oil until caramelized. Add a pinch of sea salt.
5. Then add lentils, vegetable stock, oregano, basil, and stir to blend. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Continue cooking until lentils are tender (35-40 minutes).
6. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the frozen veggies, stir, and cover to meld the flavors together. NOTE: We added a few tablespoons of our mashed potatoes to help thicken. This is optional.
7. Transfer to your prepared oven-safe baking dish and carefully top with mashed potatoes. Smooth down with spatula and season with another little pinch of sea salt.
8. Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes are lightly browned on top.
9. Let cool briefly before serving. Enjoy!
NOTE: To thicken entree, let sit for a bit longer.